Assistant Principal of the Year Award
2021 Assistant Principal of the Year: Jobie Flint
Cedar Heights Middle School Assistant Principal Jobie Flint (South Kitsap School District) was named this year’s Washington State Assistant Principal of the Year by a panel of principals representing the Association of Washington School Principals (AWSP).
As assistant principal of Cedar Heights for five years, Ms. Flint leads monthly professional development with staff around the focus of “teaching strong.” She visits every classroom at least every other week, providing follow-up feedback to teachers. She also meets weekly with math and science teams to plan lessons and assessments and review student work and achievement.
2022 APOY Nominations
Every year, AWSP selects a Washington State Assistant Principal of the Year. Beginning in 2021, we're revamping our process. We will select one winner per ESD, regardless of level, and select one state winner from the nine ESD/Regional winners. This aligns with the classified, teacher, and superintendent of the year award programs.
Nominations will open for the 2021 Assistant Principal of the Year in mid-January.
- AWSP accepts nominations from any source. It could be a teacher, another principal in the district, a parent, student, or community member. (Note: nominators will need to create an OpenWater account. This lets the nominator start the process, save their work, and come back to it.)
- The nominated assistant principal gets an email letting them know someone thinks they're great and they've been nominated to be the Washington State Assistant Principal of the Year.
- The nominated assistant principal completes an application in OpenWater. This mirrors the national application closely, so if they advance to national recognition, they won't have to reinvent the wheel when the time comes to fill out that nomination.
- A regional judging panel selects one assistant principal from each ESD to be our Regional/ESD Assistant Principal of the Year.
- Another judging panel narrows the nine down to one Washington Assistant State Principal of the Year. That person will represent Washington for their respective national association. See the national recognition section below.
- Nominations (anyone can nominate) must be submitted by July 31, 2021.
- Nominated assistant principals must complete the application for the Washington State Assistant Principal of the Year by August 31, 2021.
- Regional/ESD winners will be selected by October 1, 2021.
- The Washington State Assistant Principal of the Year will be announced by October 31, 2021.
- The application for the NASSP National Assistant Principal of the Year is due by December 1, 2022.
- The application for the NAESP National Outstanding Assistant Principal is due March 27, 2022.
If the state winner is a member of NASSP, we will look at the other eight ESD/Regional Assistant Principal of the Year winners and select the highest scored application from a NAESP member. That person will represent our state at the national level and vice versa; if the state winner is a NAESP winner, we'll select the best application from a NASSP member to represent Washington for their national component.
National Association of Elementary School Principals
- One Regional/ESD Assistant Principal of the Year winner will represent Washington for NAESP's National Outstanding Assistant Principal Program (NOAP).
- NAESP honors assistant principals from around the country and does not select a national winner.
- Applications for the NOAP program are due March 27, 2021.
- Winners are recognized at the NAESP national conference, which usually happens during the first two weeks of July. Registration is comped.
National Association of Secondary School Principals
- One Regional/ESD Assistant Principal of the Year winner will represent Washington for NASSP's National Assistant Principal of the Year program (NAPOY).
- NASSP NAPOY applications were due December 1, 2021.
- From the state representatives, NASSP selects three finalists and one national winner.
- The winner will be selected during April 2021.
- The winner will be recognized at the NASSP national conference, which usually happens during the first two weeks of July.
Principal of the Year
Looking for info about recognition and timelines for our Principal of the Year?
For More Information
David Morrill | Communications & Technology Director | (800) 562-6100