The 2022-23 intern grant application is now closed.
If you turned in a completed application you can expect to hear about your funding status by the end of May.
If you would like to apply for the 23-24 intern grant we will begin taking applications in early December.
For any questions or concerns regarding the grant application or process, please contact Macy Bruhy
The Washington State Education Leadership Intern Program Grant
Established in 1993, the Washington State Education Leadership Intern Program Grant is designed to provide rigorous, authentic and quality training experiences for interns. It also provides funds for partial release for those participating in administrative preparation programs that have been approved by the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB).
- March 25, 2022 | 2022-23 Grant Applications Due to AWSP
- Week of April 18, 2022 | Grant Application Screening
- May 11, 2022 | Intern Advisory Committee Meeting
- Week of May 23, 2022 | Applicant Notifications
- Week of December 5, 2022 | Application opens for 2023-24
Questions? Want More Resources?
Have questions regarding the application process or are a current grant recipient?
Looking for tips on completing your intern grant application?
The Intern Grant program provides substitute cost reimbursements for the release of administrator intern candidates from their teaching positions in order to engage in on-the-job training with a mentor administrator. Districts are reimbursed for days of release time at a daily substitute rate of $107. The number of days varies annually. Principal intern candidates are required to complete 540 hours of training, half of which must be when students and staff are present during the regular school day.
PESB-Approved Principal Preparation Programs
- Central Washington University
- City University of Seattle
- Eastern Washington University
- Gonzaga University
- Heritage University
- Pacific Lutheran University
- Seattle Pacific University
- Seattle University
- Saint Martin's University
- University of Washington (Bothell)
- University of Washington Danforth (Seattle)
- University of Washington (Tacoma)
- Washington State University (Spokane/Pullman, Tri-Cities and Vancouver)
- Western Washington University
- WGU Washington
- Whitworth University
Intern Advisory Committee
The Intern Advisory Committee meets twice a year to review and approve:
- Policy standards/guidelines
- Application packet
- Required training activities
- Year-end program assessment
- Program costs
The committee is comprised of practicing building/district administrators and representatives from AWSP, OSPI, WASA and higher education.
For More Information
Macy Bruhy | Member Engagement & State Programs Administrator | (800) 562-6100